Redesign of the Old Side of the Pancyprian Gymnastic Association (GSP)
The project is located in the Nicosia Central Business District (CBD) and links the new city with the historic core of Nicosia. The project aims to upgrade the urban environment and promote sustainable urban mobility, while providing a significant green recreation area for Nicosia residents and visitors.
The project being implemented is according to the first prize which was awarded to a Joint Venture of Architects, following the Architectural Competition of 2011 for the implementation of the reuse and redesign of the site, and the Referendum regarding the use of the site in 2009.
The GSP was founded in 1894 and its stadium was located on this site during 1902-1999. In October 1999 the GSP was relocated to a new stadium located in Strovolos, at the south outskirts of Nicosia city centre, following an agreement between the Pancyprian Gymnastic Association and the Government to exchange the two properties. Based on the 2011 Architectural Competition and the first prize awarded to the Consortium, the old stadium was demolished in 2017.
The project includes two basement levels of parking which connect to the public bus system and will operate as a park and ride location promoting sustainable mobility in Nicosia. It also includes the creation of a square, restaurants, a gallery, a bookshop, a multiuse hall and cafeterias as well as an outdoor amphitheatre. The corners of the site rise up to form the restaurant spaces at street level, and all rooftop surfaces are planted. The extensive planted surfaces will provide an attractive urban green area for visitors to enjoy in the heart of the city.